Thursday, January 31, 2013

Finishing January goals and more projects

I'm happy to say I started the January goals.  It's okay that I didn't complete them all. I did start every one of them. The decorating and clothes shopping may take a while. I'd rather do it all right, then hastily completing a job. Here is a quick glance at all the goals:
  • Declutter storage in basement. List items on Facebook community swaps, Craigslist or other online sites. (here)
  • Start a photobook on Snapfish.com for 2012. (here)
  • Sort through kids closets and take clothes to local consignment store. (here)
  • Sort through Josh and my closet and take clothes to local consignment store or Goodwill. (here)
  • Start planning for Sawyer's birthday party. Why does this always seem to creep up on me?
  • Organize photos from 2011/2012. Put all printed photos from 2011 in scrapbook. (started)
  • Make a list for clothes that we all need for spring/summer. (started)
  • Start a list for decorating each room in the house. Like curtains and a table in the living room, and Sidney's room. here, here and here.
  • Bring lunch to work for 15 days

 

Projects:

Some of you, actually a lot of you, made some comments on my personal Facebook page about what I should do with the back of our bookcases.  I'm still working on this. We are really thinking it through. We are leaning toward dark brown. Paint or wallpaper? That is the current decision.


I taped some scrapbook paper that I had on the back of the bookcase. We ruled out navy and green pretty quick.



 

We like the darker colors because we feel it pulls everything in and grounds the bookcases and mantel more. The ceilings in this room are 20ft. high.

I'll keep you all posted on our progress with the bookcases. Plus, I'm still looking for a bookcase for Sidney's room. I think we may have found one, just need to jump the gun and pay for it.

Something exciting happened in January!

Recently I took the Young House Love (YHL) (Completely Unofficial) Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge. (here). The rules were to go thrifting with only $20.

I purchased two swans, something I probably wouldn't ever purchase, but Sherry, from YHL, can't help herself when it comes to ceramic animals. I thought, what the heck, why not?


The sales lady told me that swans mate for life, awe so romantic. Plus, Iowa State University has a swan tradition with Sir Lancelot and Elaine. Perfect!

I bought these swans for $6.00 total and I'm going to spray paint them a glossy white (whenever the weather gets warmer). Hopefully they will POP right off my bookcases once they are painted.

I also purchased some picture frames that need a coat of spray paint. The frames are for a photo gallery wall in Sidney's room.

What was so exciting about two swans, you ask? I sent an email to YHL about the Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge and Sherry Petersik emailed me back!

 That's just cool, I tell ya!

Stay tuned for more projects to come.

Have you purchased any thrift shop items? How little did you spend?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips