Tuesday, April 19, 2016

How to train for a race with a busy schedule {Part 3}

I'm here to help motivate, organize your schedule, give guidance and support for your first race. Especially for those with busy schedules.


This is Part 3 to a series...make sure you check out Part 1 here and Part 2 here.

Did you do your homework from Part 1 and 2? Did you actually write it down with a pen and paper?

In Part 2 I asked you to tell me if you have committed to a race. I mean you actually paid the money and you know you need to train. You've set your goals and now you are still here reading tips to figure out HOW you are going to do this.



I know you are scared and don't know where to start. That is why I decided to put these tips together for you. {My online training course is coming soon!!! I'm so excited! It's still in the works, what would you like to see in the training? Tell me!}

Anyway back to my final tips to get you started to completing your first race.

7. Stretch to avoid injury:
Stretching is incredibly important before and after you run. On your training days AND on your race day. Yoga is probably the best compliment to running for many reasons such as stretching, breathing techniques and mindset. A lot of people can be afraid of Yoga because they aren't good at it. I am not either, seriously! However, I encourage you to try Yoga during your training and if not Yoga - STRETCH!

From the Mayo Clinic: After each exercise session, cool down for five to 10 minutes. Stretch your calf muscles, upper thighs, hamstrings, lower back and chest. This post-workout stretch allows your heart rate and muscles to recover and return to normal.



8. The Good, the Bad, the Ugly and the OMG Really:
The Good - You WILL get to those long runs with the training and tips I've provided. As long as you follow these tips and training calendar! [wink, wink]
The Bad - You WILL have bad days and simply have to stop during training. Don't worry about it, it even happens to high performing athletes!
The Ugly - You will have some pain and soreness, it will be difficult at times, Aaaaand you may not smell very good.
The OMG Really - You will have to pee or poop somewhere during your training runs and it's immediate. Yup, I'm serious - it's the strangest thing, but it comes out of no where and you're like - OMG - I've got to go NOW!

9. Mindset and Breathing:
I mentioned this in tip #7 however mindset goes a LONG, LONG way. If you can visualize yourself completing the race you will get there! Research positive affirmation and many articles will come up. Say to your self, "I love this race training! I'm so good at it!" It will turn your negative thoughts and feelings into a positive mindset that will help you reach your race goal. And if you can visualize yourself completing the race, you then have a mindset to focus on rather than the pain you are enduring at that specific moment in time.



Breathing is what kept me going during those long runs when I wanted to give up. It's the same method as lamaze breathing during labor. Focusing on something other than the pain of labor. Focus on your breathing in rhythm with your pace and steps. It will push you just a little bit farther than the day before.





Homework: Research some stretching poses or a yoga studio close to you and comment below what you found.

Stay tuned for a BONUS tip that I will post soon. It's totally something you don't want to miss!




Enter your email to receive your race training schedule!

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips