Monday, May 14, 2012

Decorating: Mother's Day traditions


This past weekend was Mother's Day and our Mother's Day tradition is to plant flowers. My mom comes in from Chicago and we assess every corner of my home to see where flowers should go. This year we had a new area to spruce up...yup, you guessed it...the PATIO!

We had a wonderfully relaxing, yet busy weekend planting flowers, fishing with the kids, going on a hike and lots of yummy eating cooked by chef Hansen. (thank you, honey!)



We found these great ceramic pots at Earl May (and used a 30% off coupon).


We tried a couple different varieties of flowers this year, some that we have never planted before!  My mom loves shopping for flowers, she could be in the greenhouse forever getting different ideas.


We planted Victoria Blue Salvia. Salvia is also known as sage and is a very fragrant plant. I was told that some Salvia can smell like fruits. Pineapple sage smells like pineapple, while fruit sage smells like a blend of tropical delights. The Victoria Blue Salvia smells like an herb, but it is not over-powering and is a perfect addition to our patio.




My house is still in despair and in need of a deep cleaning. This is the garage, you can imagine what the rest of the house looks like. But cleaning will have to wait.  


I am volunteering for our local hospital's annual event this weekend as the Decoration Chair {here}. The theme is the Preakness Stakes and I've got this to wear in my hair.



We will be decorating with these: (they were handmade by a volunteer)

 

I hope to keep you all posted with some fun decorating ideas this week and after the event!

Are you planning any events? Birthdays, anniversaries, weddings or graduation parties?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips